Funding for Projects
The Bow River Basin Council has been established to help Albertans protect and conserve the waters, both surface and groundwater, of the Bow River Basin. The Council will partner with individuals, groups, corporations, academics and environmental organizations to provide the highest possible protection for the Bow River Watershed.
Application Eligibility Guidelines
Applicants for funding must be registered as, or partner with, a not-for-profit organization in Alberta. All recipients of Council funding must be qualified donees (as defined in the Income Tax Act). The following list provides some guidance on eligibility; however, each applicant must verify that they qualify in accordance with this requirement.
- Registered Charities (including qualifying)
- Canadian Universities
- Community associations
- School groups
- Youth groups
- Non-government organizations
- Environmental organizations
- Canadian municipalities
Project Funding Criteria
The Bow River Basin Council provides financial support to groups that improve the Bow River Basin through ecological, cultural and recreational projects. Its ultimate goal is to fund projects that will help the Bow River Basin achieve the highest water quality of any highly populated river basin in Canada.
Projects sponsored by the Council will involve some form of public participation and result in a measurable improvement in the Bow River Basin.
- Fish & Wildlife Studies
- Educational Initiatives
- Stream Ecology
- Water Quality Evaluations
- Water Orientated Recreational Studies
- River Cleanup Initiatives
Applicants must demonstrate that there is a need for the project.
The Bow River Basin Council will limit its contribution to $10,000. It will fund up to 50% of the total projected budget of a project. Example: If a project has a total budget forecast of $15,000, the Council may fund up to $7,500.
Funding for projects will be variable and subject to the current financial condition of the BRBC. For more information on the potential status of funding, please contact the Bow River Basin Council, Tel: (403) 268.4596.
The applicant must match or exceed the requested funds in any combination of the following:
- Volunteer labour at fair market value;
- Cash contributions from other partners;
- In-kind donations of materials or services.
Use of Funds
Council funds can be applied to reasonable costs directly related to the projects operating budget such as:
- Office space
- Project administration
- Travel and accommodation
- Capital expenditures (must show a valid need)
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- Three letters of reference from other organizations
- Completed pdf Application Form for Funding (26.07 kB) (69 KB)
- A detailed proposal.
Your proposal will address the following questions in detail:
- You or your organization's background, including a brief description of its main services or activities;
- Your organization's founding date and membership number;
- The project's background;
- The project's objectives;
- How the project fits into your organizations strategy;
- The need for the proposed project;
- Your partnerships with other organizations;
- Benefits to the Bow River Basin;
- Work involved, (i.e. describe the operation of the project);
- Amount of public participation or consultation
- Letters of support and confirmation of other funding;
- Methods of project evaluation, (i.e. how achievements will be measured);
- A detailed budget, breaking down all expected expenditures.
In the interests of sound environmental stewardship, we encourage that applicants use both sides of the paper and limit unnecessary material from the application. These same stewardship principles must be displayed in all components of project execution.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Responses to funding applications will be provided as quickly as possible.
The Council's support is subject to certain conditions, and monitoring and reporting requirements are necessary. Each project will be required to provide quarterly financial reports that will identify the progress being made and funds being utilized. Upon the completion of the project a final report, with a complete financial statement, will be presented to the Council's Board of Directors within 30 days.
Contributions will be provided on the following basis:
- 70 % at the beginning of the project
- 30 % following the approval of the final report
If you have any questions about the application process or whether your project fits the funding criteria, please contact the Bow River Basin Council. Tel: (403) 268.4596